Nicole Senior's new book, Belly Busting for Blokes landed on our desk recently, so we asked her to write about why a big belly is bad for your health for Myth Busting this month. (If you are interested, the book is a fun read and very practical and we have given copies to some of our favourite blokes who are finding it a bit harder to tie their shoelaces.) Prof Jennie Brand-Miller expands on the 'belly busting' theme and explains why controlling insulin levels is important for trimming your waistline and how low GI diet can help you beat your metabolic rate and burn your fat stores. There are all our usual features of course, including three delicious 'belly busting' low GI recipes to tuck into.
- Beat your metabolic rate and burn your fat stores – Prof Jennie Brand-Miller explains
- Red meat and diabetes risk
- Green vegies, dried fruit, legumes and brown rice linked to fewer colon polyps
- The scoop on vitamin D with Emma Stirling
- New GI values for meal replacement shakes, soups and bars
Good eating, good health and good reading.
Editor: Philippa Sandall
Web management and design: Alan Barclay, PhD