1 March 2009

Your Success Stories

‘Learning about the GI is just like learning to ride a bike or swim.’ – Jack
‘I am 74 years old and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 5 years ago. I have relatively good control. My A1C is in the low 7s. I purchased The New Glucose Revolution book in early 2008 (The Low GI Handbook is the title of the new Australian edition) and modified my eating regimen to more closely adhere to the lower GI foods. As a result I have been more consistent in my daily readings and my quarterly A1C levels have been more predictable and I no longer get lows. I exercise 3–4 days per week with a 4-mile (6.4 km) speed walking program trying to keep myself to 13–14 minutes per mile and find the agony of getting started and finishing is easier now because I have more energy. The changes have helped my daily exercise program and routines as I am not as sluggish after the morning’s efforts. My appetite is still vigorous but I do not crave eating as I did after exercising before I started the GI awareness in my eating. I also do not get the hunger pangs a couple of hours after my meals when I felt so full when I left the table. I do not consider myself on a diet, merely eating smarter. Learning about the GI is like learning to swim and once you are doing it, eating the low GI way takes no real thinking – you are not depriving yourself of anything.’

Robert updates his weightloss and fitness success story
In September 2008 we reported on Robert’s 25 kg (55 lbs) weightloss on The Low GI Diet. When he started the diet he had two goals: to lose 20 kg (44 lbs) by 6 November 2008 (he lost 20 kg in 18 weeks) and to run a competitive 400 m (1/4 mile) at the Sydney International Athletics Centre in November 2008. Here’s what happened:

‘Whilst a September 2008 calf strain to the left leg pushed goal 2 into 2009, I did compete on Saturday 13 December 2008 for the first time in 39 years in a track and field competition. The event was the over 35 years high jump and I cleared the bar at 1.25 m. I was the oldest in the group and my competitors were clearing 1.30 m and 1.35 m. The goals for 2009 are now to clear 1.30 m, to run the 400 m, and possibly run an 800 m in early 2009.’ – Robert

success story

0 comments: