Professor Jennie Brand-Miller’s Low GI Diet Shopper’s Guide 2011 out now
Australia’s #1 low GI shopper’s guide will help you make the switch to a low GI diet by putting the low GI choices into your shopping trolley and on the table. The 2011 edition is even easier to use and includes:
- A to Z tables with the GI (and GL) of over 1000 foods by food category such as ‘Breads’ and ‘Breakfast cereals’, ‘Fruit, Vegetables’.
- In each food category, foods with a low GI have been separated from those with higher or unknown GI values.
- Handy household measures like cups and tablespoons for the sample serving sizes.
New GI values from GI Labs in Toronto
Iidea organic agave syrups
These organic agave syrups are low GI sweeteners extracted from the agave plant which is large and spiky like a cactus, but in fact is Mexico’s famous succulent that also gives us aguamiel, pulque, and tequila.
You can use agave syrup instead of sugar to sweeten food, desserts or drinks including tea and coffee. Keep in mind however, that it’s about 1½ times sweeter than sugar so you don’t need to use as much. One level teaspoon provides around 5g carbs and 20 calories (84kJ) along with small amounts of calcium, potassium and magnesium like other less refined sweeteners such as raw sugar, Logicane™, honey and 100% maple syrup.
- Light Standard Agave Syrup (70–78% fructose) – GI 28
- Light Premium Agave Syrup (78–85% fructose) – GI 22
CalNaturale Svelte (TM) protein drinks
These rich and creamy-tasting low GI protein drinks for sustained energy are made with fresh organic soy milk and organic rice syrup, sugar and inulin. They can be used as a meal replacement product, a pre- or post-workout pick-me-up or an anytime snack. Svelte (TM) drinks are dairy-free, gluten-free and certified kosher and come in 15.9 fl oz servings (470 ml or almost 2 cups). Each serving provides 16g protein, 35g available carbohydrate, 10g fat (naturally occurring in the soy milk) and 260 calories (1092 kJ). These drinks are also a good source of fiber (5g per serving).
- SvelteTM Chocolate Sustained Energy Protein Drink (with pure organic cocoa) – GI 21
- SvelteTM French Vanilla Sustained Energy Protein Drink (with pure organic vanilla) – GI 24
CalNaturale Svelte (TM) is part of California Natural Products, a leading natural foods company with a 30-year history of innovation and excellence. For more information: http://sveltebrand.com/products
GI Labs has moved
GI Labs is proud to announce that, due to increased demand, we have moved to a new, larger facility that is better equipped to meet your research needs. Our new facility is well-suited to the needs of our busy company, outfitted with numerous clinical testing areas, an upgraded analytical laboratory, well-ordered test kitchens, and office space for client meetings. Please contact us for a tour next time you are in Toronto!
- 20 Victoria St., 3rd floor Toronto, ON M5C 2N8 Tel: 416-861-0506
Dr Alexandra Jenkins
Glycemic Index Laboratories
20 Victoria Street, Suite 300
Toronto, Ontario M5C 298 Canada
Phone +1 416 861 0506
Research Manager, Sydney University Glycemic Index Research Service (SUGiRS)
Human Nutrition Unit, School of Molecular and Microbial Biosciences
NSW 2006 Australia
Phone + 61 2 9351 6018
Fax: + 61 2 9351 6022
See The New Glucose Revolution on YouTube